Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Book Review: Peeps

Synopsis: A year ago, Cal Thompson was a college freshman more interested in meeting girls and partying than in attending biology class. Now, after a fateful encounter with a mysterious woman named Morgan, biology has become, literally, Cal's life.

Cal was infected by a parasite that has a truly horrifying effect on its host. Cal himself is a carrier, unchanged by the parasite, but he's infected the girlfriends he's had since Morgan. All three have turned into the ravening ghouls Cal calls Peeps. The rest of us know them as vampires.

It's Cal's job to hunt them down before they can create more of their kind. (Courtesy of B&N.com)

I started reading Scott Westerfeld back in my highschool days. People were raving about the Uglies series and I finally decided to check it out. I fell in love with that series, and Peeps wasn't too far behind.

The book is about Cal, a guy in New York that has been infected by a parasite from losing his virginity to Morgan. He has since infected girlfriends he had after Morgan, but unlike Cal, who is simply a carrier, these girls turned into Peeps.

I liked this book quite a bit. The storyline was intriguing and I learned a lot from it. Every other chapter or so was about a true parasite, things that I'd never heard of. It was interesting to have a different outlook on vampirism, why the Peeps did things like hide from the light, eat people and shy away from crucifixes.

Westerfeld did a great job of making the story seem believeable and his characters relateable.

Overall, I liked the book and plan on reading the sequel, but it wasn't utterly amazing.

I give Peeps a 4 on the beam scale.



No comments:

Post a Comment