Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Book Review: I Am Number Four

Synopsis: We may be walking past you right now. We are watching as you read this. We may be in your city, your town. We are living anonymously.
We are waiting for the day when We will find each other. We will make our last stand together—if We win, We are saved, and You are saved as well. If we lose, all is lost.
(Courtesy of b&n.com)


I have to say that this book had too much hype that was not lived up to, in my opinion. I mean, what other book is so cool that it has it's own movie in production practically as the book come out? Plus it's, like, about superheros. It must be an awesome read, right?

Wrong.

I don't think I have ever before had a book I was reading for fun that I couldn't wait to be done with. Not because I wanted to see how the story ended or get to the sequel, but because I was so unimpressed that my only desire was to push through it so I could move on to read something hopefully better. I think I actually got this book around the same time I got Switched by Amanda Hocking, and obviously I had wanted to finished out the entire Trylle series before coming back to this book.

I've never been one for aliens, but I figured I'd give this book a shot - mainly to help in my pursuit of the A-Z Challenge.

One of the things I really dislike is over powered/god mode characters, and this book had it. Any fight that John gets involved in, he wins without breaking a sweat. Half of the time, the book is about how much better Lorien's are than humans and a fourth is talking about this terrible enemy that you're just waiting to show up.

The story did eventually pick up and peak a bit of interest...around chapter 28. That means that the last 100 or so pages were intriguing, but I could barely get through the first 300 to get to the good stuff.

There are a couple of mysteries revealed and cliffhangers left to make room for another book, but I don't think I'll bother picking up a sequel.

Even though I Am Number Four did get a bit of emotion out of me at the end, I still have to give this book a 1 on the beam scale. There was just too little desire to read this book for me to give it anything higher.




No comments:

Post a Comment